Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Strong storms hit the area again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member beamer_ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    2,840
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Strong storms hit the area again

    Anyone got any updates on the damage done in Castlewood by the potential microburst? Heard some chatter on the scanner about, sounded like a lot going on. Something about the Pizza Town building being damaged, a car was crushed and maybe some fatalities, among other things. WCYB had viewer reports of wind damage and power outages. Believe we had some power outages here in Lee too from a storm earlier, haven't heard of anything else though.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member beamer_ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    2,840
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Strong storms hit the area again

    Man killed when roof blows off restaurant during storm, crushing car he was driving

    Tuesday, Jul 31, 2007 - 08:00 PM

    Bristol Herald Courier

    A man was killed Tuesday evening in Castlewood, Va., when a roof blew off a restaurant during a strong storm and crushed a car the man was driving.

    Authorities are not releasing the victim's name until the family is notified.

    Around 5 p.m., the roof of Pizza Town and a neighboring flower shop ripped away during the storm. The roof landed on a blue and white Ford Mustang on state Route 58 in front of the businesses, killing the single occupant.

    Witnesses said the man was 20 years old and worked in Castlewood.

    Traffic lights were dangling near the scene and some utility poles tilted. Scattered damage to some homes was also reported.

    See Thursday's edition of the Bristol Herald Courier for more details.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Strong storms hit the area again

    Damn, that was a strong burst.

    I saw that developing this afternoon, didn't think it would get that bad.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Strong storms hit the area again

    My dad lives in Castlewood (moved to there from Appy several months ago) and I can tell you guys what I saw and what I've heard.

    I'll just tell you this much: This is the worst storm damage I've ever seen in my life with my own eyes. Pizza Town was just demolished; the roof had been peeled off and the green "umbrella-like" cover along the front of the store was completely collapsed. The windows were OK and the other stores were not hurt, but the roof was really just a mess and there were boards all over the road. You want to hear something creepy? We ordered a pizza from there at about 1 or 2 PM. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img]

    That's just what I saw from Pizza Town. Let me tell you what else I saw/heard:

    - One known fatality (the one mentioned above)
    - Home damage (trees fallen on homes, etc.)
    - Flooding (TONS of rain, my yard was literally flooded)
    - Snapped trees (I'm talking BIG trees snapped and fallen over)
    - Fallen/tilted telephone poles, etc.

    There is a lot of speculation about what went on.

    I've heard that it was a tornado, and I've also heard reports of two possible tornadoes. As we took the backroads due to damage to make it to our home (thank God it wasn't damaged!), I saw tons of damage even way down the backroads, including flooding and leaves all over the road and a few trees snapped here and there.

    If you ask me, I think that it could have been a small tornado that blended in with the heavy rain. My dad's girlfriend called several of her friends for updates and one of her friends even said that she'd heard that a truck was literally picked up and set back down on its side.

    I seriously doubt a "strong storm" could rip the roof off a restaurant, snap some pretty big trees, bend and topple "utility poles," and cause a fatality.

    I'm sticking with my personal belief that a tornado has hit the area.

    What really disturbs me is how the damage doesn't add up, though. It's as if the damage resembles that done by a small tornado, but it was so widespread and so random (Pizza Town demolished, while buildings next to it are fine -- trees broken here and there, while others are just fine -- and so on), how could a tornado have had such a crazy path?

    What's even crazier is that if you go down the road, you can almost see the "line" of the tornado, which goes down the fourlane and past Pizza Town, then down past Pizza Town a little ways down the fourlane, then it suddenly stops. However, even more disturbing is the fact that the hill leading up to the high school shows damage as if the tornado also went UP THERE. So tell me: How could a tornado change paths like that and be so precise to be on the road? It's as if someone was controlling where the damage was done.


    All I know is that I'm glad more people weren't hurt, and this was one hell of a storm. My neighbors were out, and they said that it was the hardest rain and the loudest thunder they'd seen and heard in their lives.

    Does anyone agree that it could have been a tornado? Perhaps it just touched down in random places and went back up, only to touch down again? Please discuss .. I'm still in shock by what I've seen today, especially since Pizza Town is about a 1-2 minute drive from my house.
    Officially retired

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Strong storms hit the area again

    Crap I ate at Pizza Town Saturday
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Strong storms hit the area again

    WOAH I just saw from that Bristol Herald article that the neighboring flower shop also had its roof ripped off.. I had no idea it was THAT bad as I thought only Pizza Town was damaged by the looks of it.

    The more I hear about this thing, the worse it gets. I hope we don't hear about anymore fatalities. And I'm glad we were out at Norton at the time and didn't have to sit through that hellish storm.
    Officially retired

  7. #7
    Inactive Member beamer_ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    2,840
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Strong storms hit the area again

    Eearlier the police were saying it was a microburst and that's what it sounds like...don't know if they had confirmed anything yet.

    Most of the time, when a place is hit hard like that, our first reaction is "it was a tornado", not that it's wrong though but a microburst or any kind of straight line winds can exceed 100 mph. Sure sounded like they were really hit hard by whatever it was.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Strong storms hit the area again

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beamerball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but a microburst or any kind of straight line winds can exceed 100 mph. Sure sounded like they were really hit hard by whatever it was. </div></div>

    I had no idea a microburst was that strong ..

    You're probably right though. The damage radius is really just far too random and strange to be from a tornado in my opinion. Even though there's a line of damage going down the road, there are still many places damaged even on the backroads in random spots, and I just don't see a tornado having that kind of a path as it usually affects a straight line (that it moves through) and nothing much else in the surrounding areas.

    I hope we don't see any more storms like this!
    Officially retired

  9. #9
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Strong storms hit the area again

    A similar storm hit the Clinchport/Speers Ferry area three or four years ago. You could track the direct path by the line of broken trees, some of them three or four feet thick. Thankfully, the damage was mostly in the wooded areas along US 23.
    Another storm of this type hit in Kingsport later that same year. Meterologists called it a "wind shear", where you have an extremely strong and violent "straight-on" type of wind, as opposed to the funnels you see with tornadoes.
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  10. #10
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Strong storms hit the area again

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ut1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A similar storm hit the Clinchport/Speers Ferry area three or four years ago. You could track the direct path by the line of broken trees, some of them three or four feet thick. Thankfully, the damage was mostly in the wooded areas along US 23.
    Another storm of this type hit in Kingsport later that same year. Meterologists called it a "wind shear", where you have an extremely strong and violent "straight-on" type of wind, as opposed to the funnels you see with tornadoes. </div></div>

    Thanks for the info .. I definitely think this is what happened, then - especially when you mention that you could kind of see the "line" of damage.
    Officially retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •